Well... this kitchen remodel has been slow. Since I only used professionals to lay the counter granite, all the prep work, and all the backsplash has been done by me and Tim (who is often out of town). I had to pull out some cabinets over the range in order to install a chimney-style range hood that I got a great deal on. Then, because I had them put the black granite all the way up behind the range, we had to then figure out how to hang the range hood without ripping out the granite just installed. Yesterday, I finally completed putting the tile on the backsplash. It needs to sit for 24-36 hours before I can grout, so I will probably do that on Sunday. For some reason, I'm very fearful of the grouting. I think because I'm counting on it to hide a multitude of sins, so if it doesn't, I'll be very sad. I haven't peeled the protective paper off of the range hood yet, but it is stainless. Click on the picture to make it scarily big.
(you see Oreo in the botton left of the pic. That's Tim & Cindy's border collie who I babysit when they're out of town. Oreo is 14 and deaf. Riley is just to the right of Oreo, but I can't figure out where his head is or what he's doing. I'm pretty sure that's his fully tail though.)
For those of you who have never tiled before, but are really wanting to, I have a few tips, now that I've been through the process. When you go to lay the tile, do the edging first, then make the main tile work within it. I did the edging last, not knowing what I was going to do. I think it's going to be ok (depending on the grout), but I now know to start with those darn edges. Also, you probably do want to shut off the electricity to the kitchen while you mess with those outlets. I got shocked 4 times before I finally decided I needed to. Yes, I'm a slow learner.
Hopefully next week I can post some finished shots. I'm tired of living in this chaos!
1 comment:
First off, Riley is facing us with his head turned toward Oreo.=)
Second, your kitchen looks UH-MAZING! I LOVE the granite behind the stove. And the hood! I am so glad you went with the subway tiles. They look great!
Good job, good job! Can't wait to see it done!
Love you,
Bridget
Post a Comment