Friday, August 15, 2008

Sad news...

Very sad news. Aunt Dorothy passed away today. She had been fighting complications from breast cancer treatment for quite a while. The chemo had created havoc with her immune system - she had developed leukemia, among other things. Last week Mom, Helen, Dick and Bonnie had driven to Dallas to see her. Helen was on her way to Dallas today, but Dorothy died shortly before she arrived. Here's my version of an obituary:

Dorothy was born in 1931 in Woodward and graduated from Mutual High School in 1949. She moved to OKC in 1949 and attended OCU. She dropped out after a year and worked for Farm Bureau as a secretary. This is where she met her first husband, Jack Baldwin. Dorothy and Jack had a son Kurt, and divorced shortly after. Dorothy was a single parent to Kurt for many years. I was always impressed that she was a single woman living in the big city. I remember one time when I was very young we drove to OKC to visit Dorothy. She had gotten really frustrated with her hair, and took scissors and cut it all off to about 1/2 inch all over. I remember being shocked that someone would cut their own hair!

Dorothy married Bill in 1964. They had Sue Ann in 1969. Bill was a computer programmer, so he and I always had something to talk about at Christmas. Kurt died when he was 18 from a car accident. Kurt is the only relative I remember who died from an accident, and so young. Then Bill died in 2006 from prostate cancer.

Sue and her son Ryan live in Dallas. Sue is expecting her 2nd child. They're going to have Dorothy cremated and her ashes will be buried next to Bill at the Woodward cemetery.

No comments: