Saturday, July 12, 2008

Genealogy Results

So I've been doodling around with genealogy. I did it a bit about 6 years ago. But last week I subscribed on ancestry.com, and holy cow... they have a ton of information these days. The most surprising things I've found so far:
  1. On Dad's side of the family, we go back to the Baskerville's of England and the Richard Rich's of London. I'm wondering if "Richy Rich" was inspired by our ancestors? Once you get into the British data - it's very organized, and I've gotten one line back to before 1100.
  2. We have a ton of names I didn't know about: Stockton, McNabb, Moore, Mitchell, Doak, Deveroux, Mayne, Grimsditch, Cranor, etc. etc. - too many to mention.
  3. Funniest ancestor name so far: Prudence Fanny Goudelock - born in Virginia in 1742.
  4. Number of people identified so far: 424
  5. There are instances on both Mom and Dad's sides of the family where 1st cousins got married. ew.
  6. So far I've traced ancestors back to Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales.

Rumor has it that we're descended from Lord Byron - but I haven't seen that come up yet.

No comments: